No smilies, no avatars, no flashing gifs. Just discuss the issues of the day, from last night's telly via football to science or philosophy.
Started by binturong on Apr 18, 2011 4:29:36 PM
DIY, decorating and interiors questions

Ask them here...

binturong - 18 Apr 2011 16:35:01 (#1 of 7355)

I'll kick off with a desk question. I want a desk that runs along the whole of one side of the room. Must be freestanding because of widowsill/radiator type things, and have a drop down leaf at one end to allow me to open the wardrobe door. Total length around 2.7m.

I was going to cobble something together with IKEA bits, but their fold down table isn't the same width as the table tops of the right length, and their online ordering system doesn't like me.

Any idea where I might get this sort of thing for a not-too-scary price (i.e. around £100).

Macpaddy - 18 Apr 2011 16:37:36 (#2 of 7355)

Have a look at auction sites.

binturong - 18 Apr 2011 16:41:13 (#3 of 7355)

Do you mean ebay type places or sites of actual auction houses? Both of those tend to expect you to collect, don't they? I need somewhere that delivers.

And I think will have to be somewhere that does separate components to mix and match - I doubt I'll find anything ready made that fits the requirements.

binturong - 18 Apr 2011 16:47:16 (#4 of 7355)

Something like this, but for desks:

Avonlea - 19 Apr 2011 13:13:05 (#5 of 7355)

My parents solved a similar problem by buying a nice wooden kitchen worktop and having it fitted like a massive shelf. They cut out around radiators etc and I'm sure could have included a drop leaf or removable panel (like a pub bar, but nicer).

binturong - 19 Apr 2011 15:05:55 (#6 of 7355)

I did ponder that as an option, but there's too much stuff in the way - it would either have to go above window sill level (which would look daft and be too high) or would be unsupported for almost all its length.

Bromio - 19 Apr 2011 15:16:34 (#7 of 7355)

You can buy separate leg kits at IKEA and several DIY stores so you could use the kitchen work top approach and simply position the legs where you have the space.

rainwoman - 19 Apr 2011 17:10:15 (#8 of 7355)

What the major said.


rainwoman - 19 Apr 2011 17:11:11 (#9 of 7355)

Table tops and legs:

MrsTeaTime - 19 Apr 2011 17:11:18 (#10 of 7355)

I had a kitchen worktop supported by 2 two drawer filing cabinets. Worked a treat.

Post deleted by user
binturong - 19 Apr 2011 18:43:06 (#12 of 7355)

IKEA's no good - as I said in my first post I can't order from there.

I'll investigate DIY stores for legs.

rainwoman - 19 Apr 2011 19:00:01 (#13 of 7355)

Hmmm... when you said it didn't like you I thought you meant you were having trouble with the site. If you also can't pick up stuff in person, I'm pretty sure both Homebase and B&Q do the legs as well. And everyone does worktops. Worth checking Freecycle/Freegle?

GrrrIbdis - 19 Apr 2011 20:13:13 (#14 of 7355)

May I ask a different question? I have venetian blinds all round the house and they are getting a bit past it, but, with new cord and sets of slat supports, should be good for some years yet. I've managed to acquire cord for pulling them up and down, but I can't find the ladder-type cord that supports the slats and allows them to be tilted. Does anyone know where to get it?

Bromio - 19 Apr 2011 20:33:49 (#15 of 7355)

That could prove tricky as each manufacturer uses slightly different fittings, there isn't a universal system, so unless you can cannibalise an old set I think it will be very difficult and time consuming to repair. You could try contacting the original manufacturer.

Bromio - 19 Apr 2011 20:36:32 (#16 of 7355)

Homebase table legs:

Bromio - 19 Apr 2011 20:38:04 (#17 of 7355)

Mrs Teatime's filing cabinet supports for a worktop is a design classic, a tried and tested and very practical solution.

GrrrIbdis - 19 Apr 2011 20:49:20 (#18 of 7355)

Hmmm, thanks, Major! The same brand are still for sale in John Lewis, but all their fittings look very different from the ones in my house! Cannibalisation is going to be tricky, too, as they are all of the same vintage and all showing similar types of wear! I may try contacting the manufacturer with the prospect of a rejuvenation contract! Simple replacement is not an option, sadly, unless I go for bespoke ones. The sizes, even with maximum adjustment, just won't fit right in the spaces available, and being used to well-fitting blinds, I do not like the thought of ones that just dangle by the glass and only half-cover the window frame!

binturong - 19 Apr 2011 21:03:31 (#19 of 7355)

That's a rather expensive leg, but I see they do a £3.99 one that will do the job and leave more cash for the top.

I already have more filing cabinets than I know what to do with (none the right height for worktop balancing) - what I need is open space underneath so I can scoot up and down and always have room for my legs.

So, legs solved, now i just have to track down a worktop and the right sort of hinges.

Bromio - 19 Apr 2011 21:52:51 (#20 of 7355)

There are cheaper ones available but if it is going to get a lot of use then it's worth paying a little extra:

Check Subscriptions
Home » Advice