No smilies, no avatars, no flashing gifs. Just discuss the issues of the day, from last night's telly via football to science or philosophy.
Started by TigerPaws on Sep 15, 2018 5:47:44 PM
DWP and Social Security Issues (2)

I have set up this thread so that posters can talk about what's now called 'welfare' issues such as:

  • Universal Credit
  • Employment & Support Allowance/appeals
  • Housing / Council Tax Benefit/appeals
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Overpayments of benefit/underpayments
  • Personal Independence Payments (PIP appeals)
  • Tax Credits and Pension Credit
  • Delays in processing benefits
  • Social security law
  • First Tier Tribunal appeals
  • Habitual Residence Test / Right to Reside

Post deleted by user
Post deleted by user
Post deleted by user
bossab2 - 17 Sep 2018 07:15:56 (#4 of 513)

My tip is that you are wasting your time complaining

Leftie - 17 Sep 2018 09:51:32 (#5 of 513)

It seems to depend which person you talk to.

TigerPaws - 17 Sep 2018 23:07:16 (#6 of 513)

I keep hearing stories of people losing their Universal Credit from sanctions and missing a meeting.

One of the complaints is that they didn't know or understand the rules.

There are a lot of young people affected.

TigerPaws - 18 Sep 2018 04:45:56 (#7 of 513)

This website clearly explains Universal Credit, work conditions, entitlement.

ElleDriver - 18 Sep 2018 05:02:02 (#8 of 513)

Good for you for starting this thread. I hope it proves helpful.

peacalmer - 18 Sep 2018 07:31:35 (#9 of 513)

Fyi, there are some phishing emails in circulation at the moment, ignore HMRC emails if you didn't register and be wary of any if you did register.

HMRC have ballsed my employment history and tax record.

Anyone whose combined P60 and P11D exceeds 50k {even if due to a salary advance or loan from their employer) should beware, if they have kids in receipt of child benefit (even if the kids live with an ex who is claiming the CB) they MUST register for tax self assessments and be prepared to pay some if not All child benefit back by the end of the financial year.

If both parents earn £49,999 or less, ie combined salary is under £99,999 and split evenly, this doesn't apply.

Ginmonkey - 18 Sep 2018 08:08:13 (#10 of 513)

Another way around that is not to claim if your salary is over the threshold. Of course if your partner does not work then CB is a way of ensuring they get NI credits.

helbel - 18 Sep 2018 15:07:29 (#11 of 513)

Post deleted by user
Post deleted by user
TigerPaws - 19 Sep 2018 21:23:12 (#14 of 513)

The International Declaration of Human rights:

Article 22

Everyone, as a member of society, has

the right to social security and is

entitled to realization, through national

effort and international cooperation and

in accordance with the organization and

resources of each State, of the economic,

social and cultural rights indispensable

for his/her dignity and the free development

of his/her personality.

Article 25

(1) Everyone has the right to a standard

of living adequate for the health and

well-being of her/himself and of their family,

including food, clothing, housing and

medical care and necessary social

services, and the right to security in

the event of unemployment, sickness,

disability, widowhood, old age or other

lack of livelihood in circumstances

beyond their control.

Written in 1948

TigerPaws - 20 Sep 2018 22:15:49 (#15 of 513)

What do people think of GOV.UK Verify?

bossab2 - 20 Sep 2018 22:17:05 (#16 of 513)

The Tories don't bother with reading UN declarations.

TigerPaws - 21 Sep 2018 18:26:19 (#17 of 513)

Regarding identity verification this is where identity cards come in as many claimants are unbanked, with no passport or driving licence.

Surely would have been cheaper if GOV.UK had introduced them to the convenience of the less well off.

A clear choice should be available on the online form and it angers those who may not not well off millennials that their situation isn't treated on par with the former and they are herded into one of the global identity verification commercial company, what do they care about Brexit-

Council Tax support has to be claimed separately so UC claimants need to contact their councils.

Watch out your identity is a money making opportunity for governments and financial markets.

CaptainBlack - 22 Sep 2018 09:32:20 (#18 of 513)

I have a question that's more curiosity than urgent.

I've just been given a contract to work in Swindon for a probably 3-4 months (someone's got to do it). I'm actually from Swindon - though I live in Manchester now -and my mum lives a mile away from where I'm going to be. So it makes sense to stay with her when I need to be there.

However she's on pension credit and is worried that they'll take away her Council Tax rebate if I'm staying with her temporarily. I said that it's not my primary residence, I'm just a guest and who's going to to tell them anyway? Is she right and could this be a problem?

Ginmonkey - 22 Sep 2018 09:40:40 (#19 of 513)

Hmm difficult. I would say that short term you would just be a guest or a dutiful son helping out his old mum for a bit. are very good on benefits advice if she is worried.

Gotout - 22 Sep 2018 10:54:51 (#20 of 513)

I'm just a guest and who's going to to tell them anyway?

There's always a local busybody who likes reporting people for any imaginary or otherwise matter.

Check Subscriptions
Home » Advice