No smilies, no avatars, no flashing gifs. Just discuss the issues of the day, from last night's telly via football to science or philosophy.
Started by esmeralda on May 28, 2016 8:33:36 AM
Charge for sending money to Australia

We are trying to send £100 to someone in Australia but new money laundering rules are making it slow, difficult and it seems it will cost £30. Are we ignorant of a simple alternative?

darkhorse - 28 May 2016 08:35:07 (#1 of 30)

Moneygram? Western Union?

esmeralda - 28 May 2016 08:35:18 (#2 of 30)

For example, could we use PayPal?

If the payment were made into an existing UK bank account, surely the (british) person could withdraw the money in Oz without paying a penalty?

What if we posted him a cheque?

esmeralda - 28 May 2016 08:36:01 (#3 of 30)

Never used either of those. But perhaps they are affected by swift numbers and the new rules (which I don't understand)?

darkhorse - 28 May 2016 08:38:05 (#4 of 30)

If they have UK account and a card for that account they can use in Oz, then it would be straightforward.

Moominmamma12 - 28 May 2016 08:38:38 (#5 of 30)

Paypal would be fine I think as long as they have a Paypal account.

Moominmamma12 - 28 May 2016 08:39:04 (#6 of 30)

Also wot darkhorse said.

esmeralda - 28 May 2016 08:41:20 (#7 of 30)

By the way, I'm not asking you to google for me. Currently reading this, but none the wiser yet.

esmeralda - 28 May 2016 08:45:28 (#8 of 30)

It seems the Moneygram/Western Union also charge similar rates to HSBC and also that the first thing putting up the cost is not having online banking.

coshipi - 28 May 2016 08:47:55 (#9 of 30)

Do you have a friend who does have online banking? Or is the problem at the other end? Can they find someone friendly who has online banking?

esmeralda - 28 May 2016 08:53:23 (#10 of 30)

We need the online banking our end.

Come to think of it, I probably have a son who has online banking. The grief involved in getting the airy-fairy little artist to even apply for his student loan (text from son: "please remind me to apply for my student loan" reply from mum two minutes later: "apply for student loan" repeated almost bloody daily and does he do it?) persuades me he would probably not be a trouble-free conduit for funds to his brother.

coshipi - 28 May 2016 09:05:44 (#11 of 30)

8~) A different fiend or acquaintance might be more useful!

I like "I probably have a son who has online banking." I trust this bears the same meaning as "I have a son who probably has online banking." 8~)

esmeralda - 28 May 2016 09:19:28 (#12 of 30)

He definitely has online banking. The question is, should I disown him?

And ask one of my other fiends.

darkhorse - 28 May 2016 09:53:48 (#13 of 30)

If he has a UK account then you don't need online banking your end. You can fill in a giro credit slip and deposit cash/ cheque into his UK account in a bank branch, or even post it to the bank (enquire with his bank on the methods they'll accept.).

darkhorse - 28 May 2016 09:58:26 (#14 of 30)

I suppose in theory you can ring up your bank and do a money transfer into a UK bank too. Maybe.

dreams99 - 28 May 2016 10:06:37 (#15 of 30)

Transferwise will do it for you.

Impedimenta - 28 May 2016 10:08:40 (#16 of 30)

£30? No way.

Western Union, by debit or credit card, £2.90.

Yes, I googled for you.

bossab2 - 28 May 2016 10:13:26 (#17 of 30)

Can't you telephone bank rather than online bank Esme ?

esmeralda - 28 May 2016 10:13:46 (#18 of 30)

Mr E was on the phone to HSBC, not me. So I don't actually know all the details.

MSExpert site confirms some of what he spluttered: "If the recipient doesn't have an HSBC account, the transfer will cost £4. Transferring by telephone or in branch is more expensive and costs £20 and £30 respectively."

dreams99 - 28 May 2016 10:14:23 (#19 of 30)

At what exchange rate for WU?

Transferwise will do it at mid-market rate with £2 commission.

If you try to transfer GBP into an aud account then you're not in control of the fx rate and you'll get shafted.

Use transferwise.

darkhorse - 28 May 2016 10:16:41 (#20 of 30)

I'm still a bit confused as to whethe the recipient has a UK account he has access to. If he has, and you've a UK account, then it should be done easily and cheaply (probably for free, in fact, as far as you're concerned, although he will incur charges/exchange rate in withdrawing it).

Check Subscriptions
Home » Money