No smilies, no avatars, no flashing gifs. Just discuss the issues of the day, from last night's telly via football to science or philosophy.
Started by bossab2 on Feb 13, 2020 6:32:24 PM
'T' levels: Gov says hairdressing courses to be worth 3 A levels

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51489571

Industry obviously will have other ideas.

Previous
|
Next
|
Top
|
Bottom
widenation - 13 Feb 2020 18:38:09 (#1 of 39)

Bit like a BTEC then.

Arjuna - 13 Feb 2020 18:43:23 (#2 of 39)

If it means in the future we will all have better haircuts then it is worth it.

HerrWalrus - 13 Feb 2020 18:46:30 (#3 of 39)

To be fair, those youngsters who've studied hairdressing, or catering, will probably have regular work for the rest of their working lives. Not always the case with other subjects.

Tadagee - 13 Feb 2020 18:51:20 (#4 of 39)

Mrs Gee owns a hair salon. Does bossab look down on her type then?

mingmong - 13 Feb 2020 18:58:32 (#5 of 39)

This whole value equivalence thing between qualifications is one of crappier things that emerged during the Blair era that still persists. Accountant thinking - the obsessive need to evaluate completely different things on a single axis of value.

Rather than trying to work out the exactky how many UCAS points a plumbing training course is in relation to a philosophy degree, just accept that both are important, and different people will be good at each. Let vocational qualifications follow industry requirements, stop trying to bolt on spurious "literacy" or "evaluation" units which everyone involved (teachers, students, employers) knows are completely pointless. At the same time stop degrading qualifications like drama and music just because they don't render measurable benefits. We don't need an accountants opinion on the value of art and music: we already know that 90% is a pile of shite, but the other 10% is what makes life worth living

angelico - 13 Feb 2020 19:24:27 (#6 of 39)

well said, mingers

angelico - 13 Feb 2020 19:25:00 (#7 of 39)

an unfortunate contraction there, sorry mate.

Arjuna - 13 Feb 2020 20:36:41 (#8 of 39)

we already know that 90% is a pile of shite, but the other 10% is what makes life worth living

and the same goes for haircuts

nemo75 - 13 Feb 2020 21:00:54 (#9 of 39)

10 easy points.

Plus, it’s already a BTEC, you fud.

lammaMia - 13 Feb 2020 21:51:07 (#10 of 39)

plumbing training course is in relation to a philosophy degree, just accept that both are important, and different people will be good at each

But everyone's good at offering opinions on the internet. Don't forget that important thing FFS.

HerrWalrus - 13 Feb 2020 21:52:58 (#11 of 39)

There must be a few posters on here who could fly through the Armchair Warrior course with honours.

nemo75 - 13 Feb 2020 21:55:09 (#12 of 39)

No idea what that means.

I know proper electricians do 4 years.

Post deleted by user
RosyLovelady - 14 Feb 2020 08:34:31 (#14 of 39)

People with philosophy degrees certainly reckon they're superior to everyone else. Philosophy undergraduates too.

FleurDuMal - 14 Feb 2020 08:52:00 (#15 of 39)

To be fair, those youngsters who've studied hairdressing, or catering, will probably have regular work for the rest of their working lives.

They tried something similar with the Vocational Diploma a few years ago.

It bombed.

The problem was, the content wasn't academic enough to compete with A Levels, yet not vocational enough to equip the young person with skills for the workplace.

KizzyK - 14 Feb 2020 08:53:22 (#16 of 39)

What Mingmong said.

Tadagee - 14 Feb 2020 08:57:59 (#17 of 39)

As shown by bossabs header, some people in the UK have a sneery attitude towards professions such as hair styling.

Mrs Gee is Australian and said the thing that shocked her when she came to the UK was that people assumed she was thick when they found out she was a hair stylist. in Australia she said you're treated as a professional. she' s Sassoons trained and looking at the training stuff she uses it seems ridiculously technical and complex with all sorts of complex angle calculations and such like.

But you know, they're all thickos.

CaptainBlack - 14 Feb 2020 09:45:38 (#18 of 39)

Of course, if you were a bit posher, you studied fashion.

thatshallot - 14 Feb 2020 09:54:28 (#19 of 39)

Hairdressers must be quite good at geography what with all that, "Going anywhere nice this year?" stuff.

Tadagee - 14 Feb 2020 10:00:43 (#20 of 39)

Of course, if you were a bit posher, you studied fashion.

Mrs Gee is very posh. Well, for an Aussie anyway.

Previous
|
Next
|
Top
|
Bottom
Check Subscriptions
|
Home » UK News